wg-multicast - RE: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions

  • From: <>
  • To: Randy Bush <>
  • Cc: Daniel Senie <>, routing-discussion <>, wg-multicast <>, mboned <>,
  • Subject: RE: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Randy Bush wrote:

> there is more traffic about multicast than actual wan multicast.
> there is massively more intranet multicast use than internet. the
> reasons are that there is money in the latter and none in the
> former.

Good point!

But I would have to argue that we do not know if there is money in
interdomain multicast simply because is doesn't exist on any usable
scale. The benefits of multicast intradomain are quite easily realized as
it is most often a single administrative domain - if you want it
everywhere, go turn it on.

Interdomain does not have that luxury. Its an all-or-nothing
proposition. Every router in the path (across multiple administrative
domains) must be mcast enabled or it doesn't work. So current penetration
I'd guess to be well under 10%. Even a core network which is mcast
enabled and would like to offer/sell multicast service really has nothing
to sell. Sure, their network is enabled but that really accounts for
nothing without all the other networks in the path to the receivers
(content customers) also being enabled.

Greg