wg-multicast - Re: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions

  • From: <>
  • To: David Meyer <>
  • Cc: Jon Crowcroft <>, "Manfredi, Albert E" <>, Greg Shepherd <>, routing-discussion <>, wg-multicast <>, mboned <>,
  • Subject: Re: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, David Meyer wrote:

> >> since practically no access ISPs allow multicast, how do they know it
> >> reduces revenue?
> >>
> >> this is a typical armchair economist argument
>
> No ISP/carrier that I have ever worked for (or even, that
> I know of, where ISP == "IP Transport Bandwidth
> Provider") has ever been able to demonstrate any kind of
> CAPEX savings due to multicast. In fact, the places where it
> might be most useful (tail circuits) provide the opposite
> incentive to the bandwidth provider (why would I provide
> you a technology that allows you to buy less of my
> product [bandwidth]?)

As Lenny pointed out, any 'savings' assumes canabilizing unicast content
for multicast. BUT a large-audience multicast transport service could
bring a whole new range of content at a much higher quality (read
bit-rate) which could be a completely different service to sell. Its not
about saving bandwidth in the core. Its about creating a transport service
which allows successfull biz-models/services for content owners which are
ISP customers. Having profitable customers is a good thing.

> OTOH, perhaps that's a selling point when marketing to
> large content providers or the like. The reality,
> however, is that such custmers (and in fact, most large
> consumers of b/w) want carrier diverse facilities, kinda
> blowing away that argument in any event. Clearly there
> are cross-incentives here.

Yup, I've seen the same. But I also think a large content owner wants
first the largest audience possible.

> >> obviously if all the users using simultaneous unicast switched to
> >> multicast this MIGHT be true, but the real point is that it enables
> >> new sources, applications and services, and might therefore INCREASE
> >> revenue....noone can say for sure...
> >>
> >> i think the technical obstacles (cable tv modem head end, DSLAM, and
> >> other minimal support for igmp magic, security, charging for group
> >> size and other stuff are the critical points and think this BOG Is an
> >> althogether
> >> Most Exellent Idea
>
> Yep.

Thanks for your support Dave,