wg-multicast - RE: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions

  • From: Bill Nickless <>
  • To: "Manfredi, Albert E" <>
  • Cc: "routing-discussion" <>, "wg-multicast" <>, "mboned" <>
  • Subject: RE: BOF Agenda - Multicast Last-Mile Solutions
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:54:28 -0500

At 04:20 PM 7/7/2003 -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>I think that to make IP multicast compelling, ISPs have to be convinced
>that it's to their advantage. One important piece MIGHT be to come up with
>a scheme that can accurately count group membership. IGMP does NOT provide
>such a technique as of now.

In the context of RFC 966, that's an excellent criticism.

Recall that the work described in RFC 966 was originally
designed/implemented to support the V distributed system on a Metcalfe
Ethernet. Quoting:

On a philosophical point, there has been considerable reluctance to
make open use of multicast on local networks because it was
network-specific and not provided across the Internet. We were
originally of that school. However, we recognized that our "hidden"
uses of multicast in the V distributed system were essential unless
we resorted to dramatically poorer solutions - wired-in addresses.
We also recognized, as described in this paper, that an adequate
multicast facility for the Internet was feasible. As a consequence,
we now argue that multicast is an important and basic facility to
provide in local networks and internetworks.

In the context of a Metcalfe Ethernet supporting a distributed system,
group membership operations can be entirely contained in the host. Each
host merely discards data on the shared bus that is not addressed to them,
or the Host Group addresses for which they have no interested processes.

In the context of multicast flooding between Metcalfe Ethernets, the
requirement is to discover where there is zero vs. one (or more) Host Group
Members on the subnet. IGMPv1/2 were designed to meet this requirement.

In the context of today's IEEE 802 networks, with full-duplex links
supporting a single host on each IEEE 802.1 bridge port, additional group
membership information is required. IGMP snooping/spoofing attempts to
discover the set of IEEE 802.1 bridged segments with interested receiver(s).

My position on IGMP snooping/spoofing is probably clear to all. :-)

But to address your point, I agree that we should look at more
sophisticated group management techniques--at the link layer and the
internetwork layer.

At the risk of repeating myself, the IP over Infiniband and IP over IEEE
1394 (Firewire) specifications do a much better job of multicast group
membership management than is commonly done on IEEE 802 networks today.

===
Bill Nickless http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7