wg-multicast - Re: question about PIM Null-Registers

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: question about PIM Null-Registers

  • From: John Zwiebel <>
  • To: "Charles R. Anderson" <>
  • Cc: John Zwiebel <>,
  • Subject: Re: question about PIM Null-Registers
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:57:09 -0700

Since the NULL register is only processed far enough to update the
keepalive timer for the (S,G) on the PIM-RP, there's no need to worry
about the TTL. The packet is empty so shouldn't be forwarded anywhere.

If one were to put something about this in the spec, I imagine it
would say something like: set to zero on sending ignore on receipt.