wg-multicast - Re: question about PIM Null-Registers

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: question about PIM Null-Registers

  • From: Tom Pusateri <>
  • To: Dino Farinacci <>
  • Cc: , ,
  • Subject: Re: question about PIM Null-Registers
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:52:11 -0700

We don't set the checksum in the dummy ip header.
If the header length of the dummy IP header is set,
then we check the checksum on reception since we think its a real
IP header and not a dummy one. One can argue that this may or may
not be correct but that is how it has always been implemented.

But if the spec is followed as below, the header length will
not be set and we won't check the checksum on the dummy ip header.

>From RFC 2362 as well as the latest internet draft:

For (S,G) null Registers, the Multicast data packet portion
contains only a dummy header with S as the source address, G as
the destination address, and a data length of zero.

You know its IP version number from the outer IP header.

This does leave the Group/Source exposed since there is no checksum
covering it.

Tom

In message
<>