wg-multicast - Re: multicast control on switch ports

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast control on switch ports

  • From: "Roy D. Hockett" <>
  • To: Bill Owens <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: multicast control on switch ports
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:36:24 -0400

Since Multicast on Hubs = Broadcast, you want to limit/block IP
multicast,
but not block other types of multicast, like Appletalk. The problem
with blocking multicast you break any protocol that relies on multicast.
Dropping the packets is fine, since you don't want to throttle the
source
you simply don't want everyone on a hub to not be able to use the
network.

-Roy

--

/* Roy Hockett * Telephone: (734) 763-7325 */

*/
/* University of Michigan * */