wg-multicast - Re: multicast control on switch ports

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast control on switch ports

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: , "Roy D. Hockett" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: multicast control on switch ports
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:32:33 -0400

At 9:11 -0500 9/24/02, Tim Ward wrote:
Yep, we'd love the same thing now that our 20 channels of TV are running.
We'd like to limit at the network layer to something like 6 Mbps of
multicast out to the student.

How would that work? Since there's no backpressure on the multicast source, you'd just end up dropping packets, right? I guess it would help to reserve some room for other traffic, but I would think that once the students learn that running too much multicast makes their KaZaA downloads slow, they'd watch fewer channels ;)

Bill.