wg-multicast - Moorhead where are you ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Moorhead where are you ?

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: , Matthew Davy <>
  • Subject: Moorhead where are you ?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:29:01 -0400

Yesterday, we got receiver reports from a receiver at
199.17.82.171, which it turns out is from
mnstate.edu, Moorhead State, which is
part of the
Minnesota State University System (and near to Fargo, ND).

I do not _know_ if they received our broadcasts (there is no packet loss info,
and some receivers send partial RR's when they start even if they do not
receive), but I received this RTCP
via multicast.

I do not have MBGP routing to 199.17.82.171, and this address has
never (well, at least this month) been present in our 6 hour multicast
monitoring program.

NorduNet -
http://www.nordu.net/connectivity/looking-glass/lg.cgi
does not have MBGP routing to 199.17.82.171, neither
do some randomly selected Abilene core routers.

So, how did I get multicast packets from there ?
Was this some test, or does the Minnesota State University System and the
University of Minnesota (AS 57)
have MBGP messed up ?

Marshall

P.S. We have been asked about setting up a multicast operational mailing list
for questions such as this, and for Multicast NOC type questions for the
I2 and the commodity Internet in general; do list members here
think that this is a good idea ?