wg-multicast - Re: Moorhead where are you ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Moorhead where are you ?

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • Cc: , Matthew Davy <>
  • Subject: Re: Moorhead where are you ?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:48:23 -0500

We the Nothern Lights GigaPOP are having some multicast problems, we
changed to a Juniper M10 and have had a few problems, mostly between the
chair and the keyboard. Also I beleive that MNSCU may be expanding
Multicast on their network, but may have not started announcing Multicast
NLRI to us. I have a meeting with them later this morning and will check on
this with them on this.

On 14 Aug 2002 Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> Yesterday, we got receiver reports from a receiver at
> 199.17.82.171, which it turns out is from
> mnstate.edu, Moorhead State, which is
> part of the
> Minnesota State University System (and near to Fargo, ND).
>
> I do not _know_ if they received our broadcasts (there is no packet
> loss info, and some receivers send partial RR's when they start even
> if they do not receive), but I received this RTCP via multicast.
>
> I do not have MBGP routing to 199.17.82.171, and this address has
> never (well, at least this month) been present in our 6 hour multicast
> monitoring program.
>
> NorduNet -
> http://www.nordu.net/connectivity/looking-glass/lg.cgi
> does not have MBGP routing to 199.17.82.171, neither
> do some randomly selected Abilene core routers.
>
> So, how did I get multicast packets from there ?
> Was this some test, or does the Minnesota State University System and
> the University of Minnesota (AS 57) have MBGP messed up ?
>
> Marshall
>
> P.S. We have been asked about setting up a multicast operational
> mailing list for questions such as this, and for Multicast NOC type
> questions for the I2 and the commodity Internet in general; do list
> members here think that this is a good idea ?

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035