wg-multicast - Re: multicast: Re: [magma] Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast: Re: [magma] Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

  • From: José A. Domínguez <>
  • To: Bill Fenner <>
  • Cc: , <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast: Re: [magma] Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:30:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Bill Fenner wrote:

> One option that nobody has mentioned is to downgrade to IGMPv2 on the
> router, allowing the snooping to continue using the protocol it knows
> about.

Yes, this is how we run all of our router interfaces right now. We would
like to do v3 for SSM and keep some sort of snooping capability to limit
flow to the listening ports in a L2 device.

We could wait on all of this (running IGMPv3 and being able to snoop it)
but we found out that HP was going to discontinue (End-of-life,
End-of-sales, End-of-development) their 4000 line by the end of the year.
Talking to HP engineers they said that since IGMPv3 is not an RFC yet
they're policy is not to work on it.

In our case this is a big deal since we have several hundreds of their
4000s and we would like to move on to v3 where we want to use it. I guess
what we were trying to do was to find out how many schools out there would
be affect it by HP's move.

I was also curious about the status of IGMPv3 in the process and what is
missing to make it into an RFC.

Thx,

José.