wg-multicast - Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

  • From: Nitin jain <>
  • To: "Lucy E. Lynch" <>
  • Cc: , <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:32:44 -0700

Hi Lucy,

I am curious why turning off the IGMP snooping should not work in every
case. If that doesn't work, we should examine the case as the plain layer2
switch/hub would also exhibit the same issue.

I would think that this would be the case for any vendor that is not aware
of IGMPv3 in the snooping implementation as IGMPv2 did not care about the
source specificness. Therefore, plain layer2 forwarding would not be
adequate for source specific joins, or exclude source. Thus, it would be
advisable not to turn on any Layer 2 specific snooping, be it CGMP, IGMP
etc. if the implementation is unaware of IGMPv3.

Please elaborate the case that would break. Thanks.

Nitin