wg-multicast - IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

Subject: All things related to multicast

IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

  • From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <>
  • To: , <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

All -

As you may already know, we've uncovered a problem with IGMPv3 and HP
4000m series switches. The condensed version is that in order to use
SSM/IGMPv3 on a sub-net with an HP 4000 in the path IGMP snooping MUST be
turned off in the switch.

see:
http://archives.internet2.edu/guest/archives/wg-multicast/log200206/msg00038.html

José Domínguez, our senior network engineer here at the UO, has tried to
pursue this with HP but the results are a bit frustrating. HP is
discontinuing the 4000 series switches by early next year and has no plans
to address IGPMv3 related problems since there is not an IETF RFC for same
(their proposed solution is to upgrade to new gear). We've turned off
snooping on at least one switch here to deal with testing issues - but
this isn't a solution that will work for everyone. If you have similar
issues on your campus - or if you own HP gear, please contact me as we
would like to be able to escalate this issue with HP and more is better...

Lucy E. Lynch Academic User Services
Computing Center University of Oregon

(541) 346-1774/Cell: 912-7998