wg-multicast - Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

  • From: Joel Jaeggli <>
  • To: "Lucy E. Lynch" <>
  • Cc: , <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:48:27 -0700 (PDT)

I would question another way do you know of any layer2 switch vendor
that does support v3 snooping?

the real answers here are probably something like this:

change operational practice to reflect the fact that you can't
rely on igmp snooping.

punt and use some cgmp like mechanism so that a smart l3 device can
control the dump l2 device

make all edge ports l3 ports

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Lucy E. Lynch wrote:

> All -
>
> As you may already know, we've uncovered a problem with IGMPv3 and HP
> 4000m series switches. The condensed version is that in order to use
> SSM/IGMPv3 on a sub-net with an HP 4000 in the path IGMP snooping MUST be
> turned off in the switch.
>
> see:
> http://archives.internet2.edu/guest/archives/wg-multicast/log200206/msg00038.html
>
> José Domínguez, our senior network engineer here at the UO, has tried to
> pursue this with HP but the results are a bit frustrating. HP is
> discontinuing the 4000 series switches by early next year and has no plans
> to address IGPMv3 related problems since there is not an IETF RFC for same
> (their proposed solution is to upgrade to new gear). We've turned off
> snooping on at least one switch here to deal with testing issues - but
> this isn't a solution that will work for everyone. If you have similar
> issues on your campus - or if you own HP gear, please contact me as we
> would like to be able to escalate this issue with HP and more is better...
>
> Lucy E. Lynch Academic User Services
> Computing Center University of Oregon
>
> (541) 346-1774/Cell: 912-7998

Joel Jaeggli Academic User Services

-- PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E --
resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but