wg-multicast - Re: multicast beacon

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast beacon

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Tony Rimovsky <>
  • Cc: Matthew Davy <>, "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: multicast beacon
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:53:04 -0500

At 4:23 PM -0600 2/28/02, Tony Rimovsky wrote:
Can you tell on OSX whether it was the beacon in particular
or if it was the JVM that was hitting the CPU?

Not in any obvious way. ps says that the beacon process is taking up anywhere from 5-25% of the CPU. My Debian box (palomar.nysernet.org) uses a similar amount to run the beacon. I don't have any other application experience to compare with, since that's pretty much all that I use java for ;)

I think the problem on OS X is actually something in the Classic environment. If I have Classic running, either before or after starting the beacon, it takes 35%+ of the CPU and the load average goes to 2.5 or above. If I kill Classic, the load drops back down to <.9, and likewise if I keep Classic and kill the beacon process. Unfortunately I still need classic for a few things. . .

I haven't yet installed the latest Java update, mostly since I've been afraid of the latest OS X system update. I'll try again once I get that on the machine and see if it does better.

Bill.