wg-multicast - Re: multicast beacon

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast beacon

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Matthew Davy <>
  • Cc: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: multicast beacon
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:36:31 -0500

At 12:40 PM -0500 2/28/02, Matthew Davy wrote:
What are you using for a multicast A/V client ? The OS-X version of
MacTV seems to work fairly well - although it seems more CPU intensive
than I would have thought.

I hadn't realized there was one, but I just downloaded it and it does work well. Didn't notice unusual CPU utilization, about 5% on my G4/400. I mentioned your report to Joe Huber and he was going to look into it.

The beacon, on the other hand, was quite a CPU hog, so I'm not running it right now. . .

I was using QuickTime 5 Pro and handing it SDP files, which is more or less what MacTV automates for you. That works for H.261 and MPEG1 video. I've also tried VideoLAN, a fine MPEG2 player for local files but it only supports multicast from its matching video server.

Unfortunately I don't have a streaming MP3 solution yet; QT5 crashes, and although iTunes accepts rtp URLs with multicast addresses it doesn't appear to really understand them. I need to poke around to see what else is available.

Bill.