wg-multicast - Re: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Philip Pishioneri <>, Multicast Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:16:32 -0500

> On 2002-02-22 6:20 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>

>> We do MPEG-1, and are testing MPEG-4, multicasts. See -
>> http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/02_feb/news/cw_multicast.htm
>>
>> Why not MPEG-2 ? Because there is a charge :
>>
>> from http://www.mpegla.com/
>>
> If the charge for MPEG-2 is putting you off, you should see what they
> (MPEG LA) want for MPEG-4. For a commentary on it, see
> <http://www.creativemac.com/cgi-bin/getframeletter.cgi?/2002/02_feb/editorials
> /smack87.htm>
>
> -Phil
> Cornell University

This is _all_ that is publicly known :
http://www.mpegla.com/mpeg4/news_release31Jan2002.html

Apple's response
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/feb/12qt6.html

The licensing is not cast in stone - not even really fully fleshed out (the
multicast part is TBD, for example - I asked), but the cost per player is a
lot less, but still != 0.

--
Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html