wg-multicast - RE: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station

  • From: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • To: 'Wilson Dillaway' <>, Multicast Working Group <>
  • Cc: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Subject: RE: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:25:31 -0500

We've done many systems like what you propose. Perhaps
the best example is at University of Arkansas, but here
is a collection of case studies, almost all via multicast:

http://www.vbrick.com/casestudy.asp

With regard to desktop cost, a site license for the desktop
player is far less costly than you may think. Vendors have
some flexibility for MPEG-1 clients, but MPEG-2 requires royalty
payments and that cannot be avoided. Still, it is far less
costly than alternatives. In our case, we even bundle a s/w
license in with our appliance (http://www.ethernetv.com).

Frankly, if your network is 100M switched, and you support
IGMP V2 (I mean, really...you can't always trust what your
switch vendor tells you), you can accomplish what you described
in about an hour.

Indeed, our customers like the fact that they have deployed a
multivendor standard, and are not locked into a proprietary solution.
Players tend to differ in how the stream is selected, and some vendors
like to include proprietary "enhancements" that, at least to my way of
thinking,
are unnecessary. But if you save a MPEG stream as a file, then you can
edit it, rebroadcast it, etc. via any number of vendor's products.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rich Mavrogeanes