wg-multicast - Re: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Wilson Dillaway <>, Multicast Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: question concerning MPEG-2 distribution of student TV station
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:20:01 -0500

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:59:48 -0500
Wilson Dillaway
> Tufts University has not done much with multicast
> so far, but the TUTV student television station, which
> currently broadcasts only over the campus analog cable
> TV network, would like to experiment with MPEG-2
> multicast transmission to all desktops on campus. We
> think a 24-hour, 7-day MPEG-2 multicast stream would
> be a great way to debug our router structure (not to
> mention the other benefits!). Does anyone have
> experience with this application (continuous
> broadcasting to a large audience) and can share some
> impressions?
>
> We are reasonably confident about our overall
> infrastructure (mostly 100-switched to the desktop;
> gigabit ethernet between buildings; Foundry routers
> in the backbone). To minimize the support
> implications, we would like to purchase an appliance-
> type MPEG-2 encoder rather than build something from
> generic servers and software. (Happy to have
> recommendations on brands and models.) Alot of the
> MPEG-2 products on the market seem to be more focused
> on the point-to-point bidirectional videoconferencing
> need rather than one-way broadcasting, although I
> guess they can do both.
>
> For this particular application, we would want to
> distribute client viewing software that could display
> full-screen video (or partial-screen video in a window,
> at the viewer's discretion). Is there such a thing as
> a generic MPEG-2 decoding client? Every vendor seems
> to have its own proprietary software product, which
> the viewer must download and install. That's a
> manageable problem, but the bigger issue is that these
> proprietary software products are not free. I have no
> problem with the software producer being fairly
> compensated for their work, but an enterprise-wide
> site license for this software can be many times the
> cost of the hardware encoder. For this particular
> application, the students may only attract hundreds
> of simultaneous viewers, at least to start, but there
> is no easy way to make software available on a more
> restrained basis than enterprise-wide.

Dear Wilson;

We do MPEG-1, and are testing MPEG-4, multicasts. See -
http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/02_feb/news/cw_multicast.htm

Why not MPEG-2 ? Because there is a charge :

from http://www.mpegla.com/

(1) For MPEG-2 decoding products in hardware or software
(such as those found in set-top boxes, DVD players and
computers equipped with MPEG-2 decode units), the royalty is
US $4.00 for each decode unit prior to January 1, 2002/$2.50
from January 1, 2002 (Sections 2.2 and 3.1.1).

So, unlike the settop box arena, there are _no_ free MPEG-2
players. (The situation for MPEG-4 is still in flux.)

If you stream RTP MPEG-1 (stick to Layer II audio), then a
host of free players are available : RealOne, Quicktime,
MIM, IPTV, vBrick Player - all these and more will play
multicast RTP MPEG-1. There are a number of encoders
available as well - see

http://videolab.uoregon.edu/download.html

for more info.

We use and recommend vBrick to source MPEG-1; the units are
very easy to use, and will interoperate with all of the
above players. At 1 to 1.5 mbps, you can get a decent video
quality.

If you are interested in equipment loans, please contact me
off list.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks