wg-multicast - MSDP rate limit value

Subject: All things related to multicast

MSDP rate limit value

  • From: Tony Rimovsky <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: MSDP rate limit value
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:25:50 -0600

Does anyone have advice on a good rate limit value? Some earlier mail from Matt indicated that 50k SA's in 5 minutes had caused a problem.

We were playing around with synscan (the ramen tool that generates the traffic), our m40 and rate limits this evening.

As an experiment, we set the rate to junipers absolute minimum (30,520 bps with a burst size limit of 1500 bytes/sec). Using 255 groups on each of two sources, I generated 510 SA's in about 3 seconds (sending from NCSA (AS1224) and visible at ACCESS-DC (AS 5640). All the SA's made it to ACCESS-DC and as far as I can tell, that rate generated no problem for abilene. I am obviously leery of pushing this experiment too far.

For those who are interested, here is the juniper config piece:

policer msdp-police {
if-exceeding {
bandwidth-limit 32k;
burst-size-limit 1500;