wg-multicast - Re: MSDP rate limit value

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: MSDP rate limit value

  • From: Jon Dugan <>
  • To: Markus Buchhorn <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: MSDP rate limit value
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:01:20 -0600

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 02:47:39PM +1100, Markus Buchhorn wrote:
> At 21:25 17/01/01 -0600, Tony Rimovsky wrote:
> >Does anyone have advice on a good rate limit value? Some earlier mail
> >from
> >Matt indicated that 50k SA's in 5 minutes had caused a problem.
> [...]
> >two sources, I generated 510 SA's in about 3 seconds (sending from NCSA
> >(AS1224) and visible at ACCESS-DC (AS 5640). All the SA's made it to
> >ACCESS-DC and as far as I can tell, that rate generated no problem for
> >abilene. I am obviously leery of pushing this experiment too far.
>
> Is it really the *rate* of SA's that is a problem? Or the total number of
> SA's? The issue seemed to be cpuhogging when the routers had 50k SA state
> to deal with under the pressure of a normal background multicast flow.
> Would it perhaps be better to limit the size of the total SA state? I
> wonder what would happen if the 50k SA state has been slowly built up (over
> days, rather than minutes).

Unfortunately we have to work with what we're given. JUNOS (and IOS AFAIK)
doesn't support limiting the number of SAs (or other MSDP state) at the
present time. However, we can rate limit packets with that source or
destinate port.

I think this is good enough for now, because the SAs are triggered by
traffic that looks like a new multicast source but doesn't stay around very
long (one packet I think... I suppose I should go read the source...).

Jon
--
Jon Dugan | Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development

217/244-7715 | http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/people/jdugan