wg-multicast - Re: MSDP rate limit value

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: MSDP rate limit value

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Jon Dugan <>
  • Cc: Markus Buchhorn <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: MSDP rate limit value
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:16:16 -0500

Jon Dugan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 02:47:39PM +1100, Markus Buchhorn wrote:
> > At 21:25 17/01/01 -0600, Tony Rimovsky wrote:
> > >Does anyone have advice on a good rate limit value? Some earlier mail
> > >from
> > >Matt indicated that 50k SA's in 5 minutes had caused a problem.
> > [...]
> > >two sources, I generated 510 SA's in about 3 seconds (sending from NCSA
> > >(AS1224) and visible at ACCESS-DC (AS 5640). All the SA's made it to
> > >ACCESS-DC and as far as I can tell, that rate generated no problem for
> > >abilene. I am obviously leery of pushing this experiment too far.
> >
> > Is it really the *rate* of SA's that is a problem? Or the total number of
> > SA's? The issue seemed to be cpuhogging when the routers had 50k SA state
> > to deal with under the pressure of a normal background multicast flow.
> > Would it perhaps be better to limit the size of the total SA state? I
> > wonder what would happen if the 50k SA state has been slowly built up
> > (over
> > days, rather than minutes).
>
> Unfortunately we have to work with what we're given. JUNOS (and IOS
> AFAIK)
> doesn't support limiting the number of SAs (or other MSDP state) at the
> present time. However, we can rate limit packets with that source or
> destinate port.
>
> I think this is good enough for now, because the SAs are triggered by
> traffic that looks like a new multicast source but doesn't stay around
> very
> long (one packet I think... I suppose I should go read the source...).

Jon;

I suspect it was just one packet per group - they vanish quickly.

Just for the record

Al noticed this with the NLANR beacon - we were all red outbound.
Al then saw the MSDP SA announcements in the 7204 logs.
The SA state would vanish very quickly - and our router was OK - but it
looked like some other routers out there melted down.

Marshall

--

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

This e-mail may contain confidential and proprietary information of
Multicast Technologies, Inc, subject to Non-Disclosure Agreements

Multicast Technologies, Inc.
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609