wg-multicast - Re: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?

  • From: Marty Hoag <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:37:08 -0600 (CST)

Alan:

I think yours is a name from the past - maybe BITNET or SHARE days of
old or perhaps in connection with some software like a mailer (?) we once
used (gee - my memory is going fast!)?

We have a sister campus (UND) looking at doing an I2 Day demo with the
CamVision2's for a music application (don't know all details but something
about chorus being at UND and the composer in California. It could
probably be unicast for this. But we're very concerned about the large
bandwidth since right now we only have a DS3 connection to I2/Abilene and
that is partially used for I1 traffic on part of the circuit.

I've been told by Brian Shepard (he did a Violin Master Class demo at
the NLANR workshop recently) that the units needed about 30.8
megabits/sec. Are there any ways to configure the systems in unicast mode
to trade off bandwidth and picture or audio quality (obviously for a
choral demo the audio is important)?

Thanks for any insight you have.

Marty