wg-multicast - RE: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?

  • From: Doug Pearson <>
  • To: "Wallace, Steven S" <>, "'Steve Francis'" <>, Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:44:52 -0500

My knowledge of multicast and IGMP is pretty limited so far (I bought
the book but haven't read it yet :) but I'm thinking that Steve Francis'
answer to Alan's question is correct, right?

In any event, at IU we experienced a variant transmit-side problem while
testing the Littons:

> The problem relates to the way Ethernet switches perform IP multicast
> pruning - the switch has to hear a "host report" (join) in order to know
> that it should prune, otherwise it floods all ports. The fix to this
> problem would be for a tranmitting unit to send the host report. Host
> reports should be sent initially and periodically at about once every
> minute.

Litton provided a small application that does IGMP host reports.
I'll send the app under separate email to Alan. We worked with Rick
Albertson at Litton to solve this problem... he was very helpful.

- Doug Pearson