wg-multicast - Re: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?

  • From: Danny McPherson <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: howto do set up multicast in a pim-sm w/o IGMP?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:12:22 -0700

You didn't actually mention the topology here but assuming a sender-only
source that's on a separate LAN than any of the group members, you definitely
do need to be concerned with flooding on the source LAN. You stated "I am
also using Catalyst with cgmp or igmp
snooping" in your initial message. Ideally, you'd want to use CGMP here so
that the router would send a CGMP Join to the switch so that the switch will
add the router port to the outgoing port list and stop flooding all ports.

> So, one of them will source and that sounds like no problem, but the other
> several will be sinks and need to join the tree, and they do not implement
> IGMP, so either I'm SOL or perhaps there's some static way to join them
> in? Would that be an mroute? At 15 Mbps I can not do this dense mode
> and can not broadcast this to all ports on my Catalyst switch.

You should be able to use the app Doug referred to on the receiver side and
CGMP would still be more efficient than IGMP snooping..

-danny