sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Cisco gateway not handling REFER correctly?

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Cisco gateway not handling REFER correctly?

  • From: Steve Blair <>
  • To: Jeremy George <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Cisco gateway not handling REFER correctly?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:10:29 -0500

Jeremy:

There have been several issues with REFER and call transfer. I was looking in Bug Tracker
to remind myself of the details. It seems that the problems I remember were in IOS 12.2
releases which we no longer run. However bug #CSCea86574 is a possible suspect, at
least for my current problem. In my current case the sip domain name in the Refer-To
header has been rewritten to be an SRV name instead of an IP address by the time
the REFER message gets back to the gateway.

The bug report suggests this issue has been fixed however I am not running any of the
IOS releases in which the bug has been reported to be corrected. I'll come back to this
on Monday when I return.

Blind and Consultative transfers have been working for us. This is the first time in about
eight months that we have experienced an issue. Today all of our phones are Cisco phones
however this hasn't always been the case. Call transfer was working in the previous
mixed vendor environment.

-Steve

Jeremy George wrote:

Steve,

Does it make a difference whether the IP devices are all Cisco or
not? I _seem_ to recall blind transfers work in all Cisco mode but
not necessarily otherwise.

- Jeremy