sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Cisco gateway not handling REFER correctly?

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Cisco gateway not handling REFER correctly?

  • From: Jeremy George <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Cisco gateway not handling REFER correctly?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:02:04 -0500 (EST)

Steve,

Does it make a difference whether the IP devices are all Cisco or
not? I _seem_ to recall blind transfers work in all Cisco mode but
not necessarily otherwise.

- Jeremy

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:49:12 -0500
From: Steve Blair
<>

Hello Nimal:

I'm out of the office for out holiday however when I return on Monday I
will look into this a bit. I think I am having a similar problem. For me a
call comes in from the PSTN via the Cisco gateway to an IP phone. The
IP phone blind transfers the call to another IP device and the call drops.
I'll let you know if I discover anything of interest. May I ask that you
do the same?

Thanks,Steve

Nimal Ratnayake wrote:

Apologies for duplicates. previously posted on
.

---------

Hi,

When a call between a SIP phone and a PBX extension is transfered
by the SIP phone to another SIP phone, the SIP gateway does not
seem to handle the REFER correctly. I am using a Cisco 3640 router
running IOS 12.3(12). The call flow is as shown below ( I have
omitted the proxy in this picture)

SIP PBX-GW
IP=A.B.C.D IP=P.Q.R.S
1602 3423

-------------INVITE--------------->
<------------TRYING----------------
<------SESSION PROGRESS------------
<--------------OK------------------
--------------ACK----------------->
----INVITE c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0------->
<-----OK c=IN IP4 P.Q.R.S----------
-------REFER Refer-To: 1600------->

Shouldn't the gateway do an invite to 1600 after receiving REFER
*before* sending NOTIFY?

Any help or pointers to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nimal Ratnayake