sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies

  • From: Jeremy George <>
  • To: Candace Holman <>
  • Cc: Jeremy George <>,
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:02:08 -0500 (EST)

Is there a reason you need to set an outbound proxy? I don't use it, I use only the SRV in the proxy1_address for line 1, and it works. Perhaps the intended use of outbound proxy is to _force_ an outbound call through a designated proxy (maybe for billing purposes?) Any other ideas of why outbound proxy must be used? Maybe I misunderstand.

I don't know what "the SRV in the proxy1_address" means but you're
spot on with the call flow. It tests exactly as you and Cisco say.

I want to use an outbound proxy for a couple of reasons. One is to
get a reasonable set of call logs and the second is that the ACL set
on the gateway requires transit through a known gateway. Neither is a
killer objection. Billing might rear its ugly head someday, but not so
far.

Obviously, I'm not sure of the intended use of outbound proxy :) It
doesn't seem to be what it appeared to me. Thanks, and thanks Steve as
well.

- Jeremy