sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies

  • From: Jeremy George <>
  • To: Steve Blair <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:12:30 -0500 (EST)

Right. This is kinda what I meant in my earlier message. Say you
have the SRV yale.edu defined with CSPS first then SER. For the
backup_proxy to work you'd need to define an SRV with SER
first and CSPS second in the ordering. Maybe call it yalecc.edu
(Yale Community College) :-)

Well, that's actually a different case. I use a routing proxy as
a sort of low grade session border controller for inbound calls coming
off-the-local-net to Yale. SRV records absolutely do come into play there.

In the outbound case from a Yale phone though, I still don't see
how DNS in involved. The phone boots and parameters are received
via tftp. I dial 1234567. The phone sends that as
sip:
. That's the rub. Homeproxy is
there and there does not appear to me to be an automatic failover
mechanism.

- Jeremy