sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To: Jeremy George <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Backup proxies
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:17:44 -0500

Jeremy,

Is there a reason you need to set an outbound proxy? I don't use it, I use only the SRV in the proxy1_address for line 1, and it works. Perhaps the intended use of outbound proxy is to _force_ an outbound call through a designated proxy (maybe for billing purposes?) Any other ideas of why outbound proxy must be used? Maybe I misunderstand.

Plus, according to this : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2156/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801d1975.html#wp1080606
the call flow should use the proxy*_address as the primary proxy and if that doesn't work then proceed to use the proxy_backup. It could be worth a try to get rid of outbound proxy.

Candace