shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] tags, new login page

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] tags, new login page

  • From: "Rod Widdowson" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] tags, new login page
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:43:34 +0100

> I can't speak for Rod, but the obvious thing to me is to calculate a
> requested aspect ratio, and find the closest match. Having the sizes in
> the metadata is critical to being able to do that.

That's number#1.

Number#2 is that IE doesn't listen to maxXXX in the CSS and so if you are not
careful you will swamp the screen with that 2058x2048
logo or bloat that 24x24 logo fitting it into that 60x60 box (well none that
I've discovered).

The login.jsp for the IdP shows what you have to do to avoid it, it ain't
pretty but without the size it's impossible (modulo
various grotesque hacks that I'll not sully this mail list with).

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is with having to specify it - if you
are automatically creating the metadata you can probe
and if you are doing it by hand you had better know the sizes. Sure in the
theoretical sense you don't, but the tools we have to
work with make it required.

Mark another strike for that awesome "operating system of the future" known
as the browser. Life was so much easier when thick
client meant block mode on a 3270.