shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] OnDemand MetadataProvider

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] OnDemand MetadataProvider

  • From: Patrik Schnellmann <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] OnDemand MetadataProvider
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:55:17 +0100

On 07.01.11 11:19, Halm Reusser wrote:
[...]
> Concerning polling the OnDemand MetadataProvider would have the
> advantage to only poll if it's necessary, which would reduce HTTP HEAD
> requests compared to a high frequency MetadataProvider.
When I look at the content of the VO entities that are currently in the
metadata, I'm not sure whether your approach would entirely solve your
problem.

New entities - i.e. a new entity of a VO, would propagate as needed.
However, changes of an entity already existing in metadata could not be
handled in a timely fashion with the "on demand" approach.

[...]
> But to be honest, that's my opinion based on experience: If that
> wouldn't go to the official distribution it's difficult to follow that
> idea. Deploying extensions *broadly* (what is the case in the VO
> application) isn't that easy.
I agree. It's definitely easier to have people deploy and maintain the
off-the-shelf software.

--
Patrik