shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] OnDemand MetadataProvider

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] OnDemand MetadataProvider

  • From: Halm Reusser <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] OnDemand MetadataProvider
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 11:19:00 +0100

On 07.01.11 09:33, Patrik Schnellmann wrote:
For your case I would publish a seperate metadata file that is
polled with a high frequency. This allows settings in the Metadata
Provider specific for the VO platform metadata. It also addresses the
fact that the VO metadata is expected to change more frequently than
the federation metadata. Then, the VO entries wouldn't unnecessarily
blow up the federation metadata file.

Yes Patrik, concerning publication that would be the appropriate approach.

Concerning polling the OnDemand MetadataProvider would have the
advantage to only poll if it's necessary, which would reduce HTTP HEAD
requests compared to a high frequency MetadataProvider.

Chad, I'll take a look at your suggestions (socket keepalive and HTTP
pipelining) and it might be possible that we develop such an extension
as PoC.

But to be honest, that's my opinion based on experience: If that
wouldn't go to the official distribution it's difficult to follow that
idea. Deploying extensions *broadly* (what is the case in the VO
application) isn't that easy.

-Halm