shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Initial proposal on simplifying SP config

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Initial proposal on simplifying SP config

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Initial proposal on simplifying SP config
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:31:15 -0400

> I don't know, I don't mean to be all pessimistic but I'm not sure how
> much of the problem is really the format. I've worked on some projects,
> some very recently, that had INI or INI-like configuration files and
> honestly people didn't seem any more capable of configuring the system.
> The questions were all in the same vein as we see on the Shib list.
> So I worry a bit that we might put a fair amount of effort in to
> simplifying our configs and get less gain than we had hoped.

There are definitely changes I want to make regardless of format, mainly
reducing/eliminating content that people aren't supposed to change in 99% of
the cases. I think that does help, but it is less work to do that with the
format as it is than to start over. And I'll probably continue doing some of
that work even with the config as it stands now, because I don't want the
"full" config to be any worse than it needs to be.