shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Attribute Resolver Work

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Attribute Resolver Work

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Attribute Resolver Work
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:36:16 -0400

On 5/26/10 1:27 PM, Scott Cantor wrote:
And item that I thought about, be rejected, was:
- Making the attribute resolution process multi-threaded. I rejected
this because it would add a significant amount of complexity to the
process and make it harder to track exactly what is going on. In
addition the Servlet container is already allocating at least one thread
per-request. Additional pools of threads could result in resource
starvation or unexpected interaction with the container.

I assume by this you meant parallelizing individual executions of the
resolver for a request by running connectors in parallel? It's not
single-threaded across requests now, right?

Correct. Currently, each unique request gets its own thread from the container and everything executes within that thread. So, in a multi-threaded resolver each request would have 1 thread given to it by the container and then N threads for resolution.

--
Chad La Joie
http://itumi.biz