shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Attribute Resolver Work

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Attribute Resolver Work

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Attribute Resolver Work
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 20:33:15 -0700

> And item that I thought about, be rejected, was:
> - Making the attribute resolution process multi-threaded. I rejected
> this because it would add a significant amount of complexity to the
> process and make it harder to track exactly what is going on. In
> addition the Servlet container is already allocating at least one thread
> per-request. Additional pools of threads could result in resource
> starvation or unexpected interaction with the container.

I agree with your rejection completely. At present we authenticate a user
and gather user attributes in about .250 seconds per user. On those occasion
where we have to gather memberOf attributes as well it is maybe .350 seconds.
I don't see the utility in working so hard to reduce that time to, say, .200
seconds (for an individual user). What I really want is to log in a couple
hundred users per minute without running out of threads or other resources.
It is throughput under load that I care about, not the absolute speed of an
individual's login experience.

Jim