shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Shibboleth 2.0 IdP xml digital signature

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Shibboleth 2.0 IdP xml digital signature

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Shibboleth 2.0 IdP xml digital signature
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:44:53 -0400

Alright, as usual when Java's involved, I'm wrong, get a headache, and end up
feeling dumber than when I started, so I'll just shut up.

For the record, I don't necessarily think that the lower level libraries
should be required to rely on UTF-8. I do much the same thing, but always
considered that a flaw.

Ideally, it's configurable, but mainly I think it's important that the
surrounding locale shouldn't influence the process if that's possible. If the
code knows it needs to handle data using a particular encoding, it should
probably be explicit about it and not rely on the Java locale to be set
correctly.

The SP never relies on localized functions if it knows data has to be handled
as Unicode.