shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] seeking feedback on Shibboleth 2.2 Roadmap

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] seeking feedback on Shibboleth 2.2 Roadmap

  • From: Peter Williams <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] seeking feedback on Shibboleth 2.2 Roadmap
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:47:47 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

> Did anyone do an interworking trial already with PingFederate as the IDP?

I can't touch products because of tampering. Since I have no idea how
serious they are about supporting dynamic federation, I don't know what
they've done yet.

Perhaps, since its all public information, we can simply arrange another
Liberty-sponsored demo before some conference or other. I swear I've seen
Shib folk do that before, in public, with multiple vendors systems. The only
"touching" requires shib configuration and interaction with a non-Shib system
(using SAMLstandards, only)

What I do know from others is that their metadata support
is still not up to snuff, so I don't see how that jibes with claiming to
support this kind of thing.

That is essentially claiming that their "Liberty Interoperable" certification
is commercially meaningless (since metadata is so critical SAML2) - and
doesnt jive with what you'd expect from a "respectable" product compliance
test. Ill assume this means that Liberty is falling down, and not producing
interworking tests of sufficient veracity. A compliance suite that produces
this kind of comment about fundamental interoperability is not worth
acknowledging (speaking as a customer).Shame on Liberty, if is true.

Is Shib2 "Liberty Interoperable"?

> I believe PingFederate does dynamic generation of the metadata from the
> endpoint, in the limited sense that the signature is generated and
attached
> on the fly - so the latest certs always percolate neighbor to
> neighbor...lampson style.

That's a DOS attack waiting to happen, but yes, the SP can do it. It just
isn't necessary to dynamically consume it. You can post a metadata document
ahead of time at the entityID for somebody else to consume.

So, its ambiguous from their manual what they do. It implies that the SP
caches the retrieved metadata, and goes pick it up upon cache fault. During
pickup, it implies that the metadata is resigned (since metafacts changed
meantime (certs, attribute contracts, contact details) etc is supplied at
that time. Id expect that the cache timeout is NOT allowed to exceed the
expiry date/time of either the SSLcontrol cert or the SSO certs used for
metadata-signing and SAML Response/assertion signing.

As the feature of the product to MANUALLY sign single-entity metadata (and
store it in a file/URL) is not required to be used when arming the
auto-distribution of metadata mode by its virtual IDPs, its hard to imagine
that they are distributing static/unchanging signed metadata, minted last
month, known to be out of date. Hardly seems a viable "product-grade" model
for a critical infrastructure.

As their IDP server is multi-tenant, each virtual IDP has its own SSO certs
for signing metadata and/or POSTs.Each must actas an SSL virtual host,whose
individual SSL cert must have a subject name form with
cn=value-tied-to-IDPentityId (to address Ping's [proprietary?] validity model
on the SP, used for importing auto-discovered metadata)

Interesting to see SSL's PKI become a control authority for this "dynamic"
SAML. The nice thing is... the maagement framework is as open and flexible as
SSL itself is.