shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] seeking feedback on Shibboleth 2.2 Roadmap

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] seeking feedback on Shibboleth 2.2 Roadmap

  • From: Peter Williams <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] seeking feedback on Shibboleth 2.2 Roadmap
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:21:06 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

why not go the whole hog, and have an openldap server front the
assertion/attribute store, using its data store plugin to talk to the
existing URL api?

This gets passed the whole silly web interface limits (why is interent2
willing to tolerate that stuff?), and formalizes the interface between app
and local store with a standard interface.

A variant of this is what folks did in the 1990-era PKI-aplications with
certs, and trust, and multirooted cert chains. They stored the persistent
cache of certs, and crls, keys, control structures, and trust points in a
MIB. UA and MTA apps interfaced to the cache using SNMP (or a co-resident
SNMP API). The nature of the MIB allows for many instances, different
schemas, and: "claim mapping". This idea of using the S-MIB as a local
truststore still has relics around, in the higher assurance HSM appliances
one buys. You have to talk to it over SNMPv3, with its own security services
applied, when the server supports a frontend cluster,of course.

[]