shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shibboleth-Announce] Shibboleth 2.0 SP Release Candidate 1

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shibboleth-Announce] Shibboleth 2.0 SP Release Candidate 1

  • From: Lukas Haemmerle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shibboleth-Announce] Shibboleth 2.0 SP Release Candidate 1
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:56:24 +0100

Now some colleagues argue like this: If you want to embed certificates
in the metadata, how do you make sure that the (potentially self-signed)
certificate that is approved by the RRA was really added to the
description by the legitimate SP admin and not somebody who stole the
person's account information?

The same threat exists whether you embed the certificate or not. If I can
get into your account, I can create a bogus SP definition, key or no key.

That's right, however, so far our people had to own a certificate/key pair that was issued by a CA that either was controlled by us or that forced them to undergo identification based on paper work (according to one of CA acceptance policy). This second requirement for getting an SP to receive attributes (besides creating the SP definition based on username/password authentication) is what is lost when one can just generate a self-signed certificate or use just any key laying around.

The key is not sufficient for defining an SP, only the metadata as a whole
is. The key is just one of the fields. If I were going to attack you,
wouldn't I create the SP definition such that the callback for the metadata
later would succeed?

Yes, but on one hand just defining another endpoint is not enough if you want the user's attributes because you still need a certificate to decrypt them or to pull them

On the other hand an RRA administrator who has to approve the SP definition inspects the callback URL/endpoings, he (hopefully) would get suspicious and reject the definition.

For another thing, if I don't embed the certificate I still have to give you
the key *name*. Short of dictating a single CA, that leaves you just as
vulnerable.
> And I hope by now people understand that simply does not scale.

That's true and that's why we dictated *multiple* CAs that meet certain requirements :) But true, in the end it would nevertheless be great to get rid of them provided we find an equally secure replacement for the CA solution.

- Only allow embedding certificates issued by one of our
controlled/accepted CAs. Because getting one of these certs involves
some identity checking procedure this would solve a.

That's a huge lose. Please don't do this. Every large SP will thank you.

It is clear that we won't do without also providing a way to embed other certificates as well because we see the necessity for using certificates from other CAs or self-signed certificates, especially for SPs operated by commercial content providers.

But all of these options have their disadvantages of course and
therefore we still haven't decided yet.

My feeling is you're overthinking the problem if you're still planning to
use a password-based process to supply the other SP metadata.
If you do
that, you already have enough to accept the key, and if not, you probably
need to make other changes.

Personally, I tend to agree with you but as you can see, I work in SWITCH's security group and not all colleagues think that solely relying on username/password authenticated users and letting the SP endpoints get validated by an RRA is sufficient without any further measures to keep about the same level of security concerning the certificate, whether it is an accepted one of our CA list or an embedded one of any CA/selfsigned ...

Lukas

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities