shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shibboleth-Announce] Shibboleth 2.0 SP Release Candidate 1

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shibboleth-Announce] Shibboleth 2.0 SP Release Candidate 1

  • From: Lukas Haemmerle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shibboleth-Announce] Shibboleth 2.0 SP Release Candidate 1
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:39:27 +0100

If so, does anything speak against setting the signing attribute to
true
in:
<Handler type="MetadataGenerator" Location="/Metadata"
signing="true"/> for the distrubtion shibboleth2.xml?

Well, that doesn't distribute shibboleth2.xml, it generates sample
metadata which is at best a guess.

Sorry, that's of course what I meant :)

Also, if you have an open endpoint that causes a digital signature,
it's trivial to bring down your server. Same problem with signing an AuthnRequest.

How about an option that would limit the access to the signed metadata to some IP ranges only or only a certain number/minute.

<Handler type="MetadataGenerator" Location="/Metadata" />

<Handler type="MetadataGenerator" Location="/Metadata"
signing="true" AlloweHosts="127.0.0.1, 130.59.6.143, 129.132.0.0/16"/>

<Handler type="MetadataGenerator" Location="/Metadata"
signing="true" requestLimitPerMinute="3"/>

Unless you can prove when they signed it, I don't think you have a
workable model.

Mhh, why is the time so important? I would say that the URL you download is important (compared to the URLs contained in the validated metadata) but not necessarily the time.

Other question: Is the attribute resolver feature already included
in RC1? If so, how can it be used? I have only found information
concerning odbc store but not for attributes

The resolver plugin provided does SAML queries for compatibility with
1.x. Attributes themselves are stored along with the session in the
same place as everything else is.

If you want support for local resolution of LDAP or database
attributes, I don't have a plugin for that, only an API that will
eventually be documented, although there are javadoc-style docs
already for every public API in the system.

Ah, I was assuming that the local attribute resolution (from an LDAP or DB) was one of the new features of the SP. But I guess I misunderstood something. Nevermind :)

Can I ask what value you expect that requirement to bring? We tried
to think this through for the UK, and we couldn't see that anything
bad (other than non-functionality) would happen if someone handed us
the wrong public key... certainly no security issues that we could
think of.

Well, in our case SP descriptions are created while being authenticated with SWITCHaai. After creation by an SP admin, the SP description has to be approved by an Resource Registration Authority admin (RRA) of the organization that this SP description is registered for. The RRA then has to check the assertion consumer URLs, required attributes etc. and the embedded certificate(s).

Now some colleagues argue like this: If you want to embed certificates in the metadata, how do you make sure that the (potentially self-signed) certificate that is approved by the RRA was really added to the description by the legitimate SP admin and not somebody who stole the person's account information? So, what this in the end leads to is the RRA making sure a.) that the person really is the person who it claims to be and b.) to make sure this person's submitted certificate is the one that it intended to submit.

We thought b. could be verified by the Resource Registry downloading a signed metadata file from the registered SP and validating its signature. This would be proof of possession if you could make sure that the downloaded metadata was coming from an URL associated with the registered SPs endpoints (which can be very easily verified by an RRA).

However, a. is more difficult to check and could invalidate b. if not handled properly. So, what we are thinking of is one or more of the following options:
- Only allow embedding certificates issued by one of our controlled/accepted CAs. Because getting one of these certs involves some identity checking procedure this would solve a.
- Only embed self-signed/not accepted certificates on our own according to a to be defined procedure (probably there won't be many of these cases anyway)
- Make the RRA asking the registering person to give him the fingerprint or part of it in order to approve the SP description. If you could enforce that the RRA won't see the fingerprint during the approval procedure, he would have to ask for it (by phone preferably). However, this is rather complicated and not very user-friendly. Again, a trade-off between security and ease-of-use...

But all of these options have their disadvantages of course and therefore we still haven't decided yet.

Cheers
Lukas

--
SWITCH