shibboleth-dev - RE: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:50:06 -0500

> The plot thickens... The RPC code on the GNU libc has that exact code
> also. Calling svc_unregister and/or svc_destroy before the run() ends
> has no effect.

I'm surprised at that, I would have expected a crash. I'm fairly certain I
tried that a long time ago and that's what I got. That's why I traced all
that code to begin with. If it doesn't crash, something is really wrong,
because that should be a double-free. If it's not, then it isn't freeing the
memory inside svc.c like it appears to be.

> I suspect you'll get the same results in windows if you run test-
> client thousands of times. Like you said the web servers you tried use
> a threaded approach so this codepath is not used very often.

I'll try it.

But Unix servers that are also threaded. I don't really understand the need
to use prefork in 2008. If you have a PHP extension that's still not
thread-safe, it's time to cut bait. Or use somebody else's SAML
implementation for that matter, maybe that simplePHP code.

> I still haven't been able to find the correct cleanup code that deals
> with this memory consumption.

Well, if it *is* in fact this code, then 2.0 will not be affected. I'm not
so sure, but we'll see.