shibboleth-dev - RE: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:16:07 -0500

> I used test-client.. Ran it 1000+ times and the memory graph is pretty
> similar, albeit with a much smaller time frame:

Meaning the memory usage is the same? That's surprising to me, I admit.

But I think to measure this, you would need to avoid just spinning up 1000
copies of the client, which would each connect to a socket. That's not how
the SP is intended to work...it favors multithreaded web servers, and
tolerates prefork provided you keep the process count sane.

There shouldn't be 1000 sockets open in a real deployment, and if there is,
that's probably the real problem, not the cleanup code.

You would probably instead need to do that second suggestion I made...hack
on test-client to loop, and then spin up a few copies to represent the web
server threads that might be running at once. That's a more accurate
reproduction of the socket pool.

Secondly, you have to take into account what I'm saying...Linux will NOT
reclaim all that memory. It just won't. I can't fix that. What it will do is
reuse it. So if you drive the process to 1G and then let all the sockets
close when the client processes shut down, and then do it again, what is the
delta?