shibboleth-dev - Re: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: shibd 1.3 linux memory usage
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:06:37 +0000

On 2008/01/02, at 17:33, Scott Cantor wrote:

I think maybe you think there's a simple fix for this, but I really doubt
that. I think Linux is broken when it comes to long running processes. 2.0
might be better and it might not (my guess is not), but 1.3 is really not
going to get any better than it is now.

You're right. I think the fix is simple... If I'm wrong and it means a large refactoring than I agree that it should wait for 2.0.
As for linux being broken with long running processes... Let's not go there. :)

But I really don't think that's where the RAM usage comes from. I can give
you a simple test...run the test-client applet that's in the code in a loop
or hack on it to fire up a ton of connected threads. That makes an RPC, same
as the real code does, and runs all that code you're looking at. If the
memory usage is actually just due to RPC handling and not due to XML
processing like I think it is, you'd see it there.

I used test-client.. Ran it 1000+ times and the memory graph is pretty similar, albeit with a much smaller time frame:

PNG image

And the culprit is the same:

PNG image

I didn't get a chance yet to see what test-client is doing... Based on this can we conclude something?

Best regards,
André