shibboleth-dev - RE: Any thoughts about a status handler?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Any thoughts about a status handler?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Any thoughts about a status handler?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:27:08 -0400

> Internal support for SNMP would be cool. Many folks already use this for
> monitoring much of their network infrastructure (routers, servers,
> switches, applications services, etc)

Definitely out of my skill set at the moment.

> I'm aware of one Institution in the UK who has hacked together some
> scripts to parse the Shibboleth logs and exposes this information
> (within a private MIB) via a local SNMP agent to the Institution's SNMP
> management system.

Eventually I would like to redo or add logs with more structured records
like Chad started to do, but that's not a 2.0 thing. If past experience is a
guide, it will take a few patches to even get logging to a reasonable state,
the code's just very different now and there will be lots of logging
adjustments needed.

What would be helpful is to know what people think ought to be showing up on
INFO level, which I consider to be the default level. I think it shows too
much in shibd.log and too little in native.log and what it does show is not
helpful.