shibboleth-dev - RE: log4cpp patches for Shibboleth

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: log4cpp patches for Shibboleth

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: log4cpp patches for Shibboleth
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:09:53 -0400

> Here is the patch that I extracted from diffing your current fork against
> the current upstream release (which contains some other fixes that your
> fork doesn't have, mostly around changing a bunch of ints to size_ts):

Must be internal, I don't recall running into any warnings on that. I'll
take a closer look.

> It sounds like he actually already took some fix related to the appenders
> initialization, so if he'll just take the localtime_r modification, maybe
> that's all we need. Although I don't know why BB_CHECK_PTHREADS is
> commented out and replaced with a different check.

As I said in the other note, the autoconf scripts are not even close, I had
to redo them. That's not to say mine are intrinsically superior, since I
barely know what I'm doing, but they at least work and the olds ones did
not. That was also a major source of crashes (the wrong flags were used all
over for threads).

The old build also failed on Solaris and possibly OS X.

> --- log4cpp-0.3.5-rc3/src/Appender.cpp 2002-10-26
18:48:52.000000000 -
> 0700
> +++ log4cpp-0.3.5rc1/src/Appender.cpp 2004-10-26 13:08:28.000000000 -
> 0700

IIRC, this was also a source of race conditions, and I don't know if his fix
is more correct or not.