shibboleth-dev - RE: Shibboleth CAS LDAP Kerberos

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Shibboleth CAS LDAP Kerberos

  • From: "Lisa Tan" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Shibboleth CAS LDAP Kerberos
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:45:34 -0400

Scott,

Sorry, I've just realized I have overlooked your email yesterday. As you
indicated the purpose of SSO, I think I am confused about SSO and LDAP
authentication.

Rethinking the authentication models in our campus, we are mainly using
Enterprise LDAP authentication and rest of homegrown "authentications" are
sort of cookie session management.

We are in the process of implementing Luminis Platform IV. The good news
from yesterday is SunGard has just provided Security SDK to integrate
Luminis, CAS and IdP, so the Shibboleth IdP uses the CAS session to do SSO.

Based on Luminis Platform Security SDK CAS and Shibboleth implementation
guide, I could configure CAS for setting up the Luminis Platform to be a
Shibboleth identity provider or to support an existing Shibboleth identity
provider.

We are still in the beginning stage to understand Shibboleth and see how
shibbolized environment provides more services to our campus. The only
production application which I can think has immediately needs on Shibboleth
is Globus. Currently Globus is using LDAP authentication with Kerberos
plugin.

As you suggested before, I have two machines, one for IdP and one for SP.
Based on all the above plus your point of view on Kerberos, what is the best
approach to go? Should I set up stand alone IdP with stand alone CAS or
Kerberos, or use Luminis Platform as IdP?

Thanks,

Lisa