shibboleth-dev - Re: Location of SP Session Cache

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Location of SP Session Cache

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Location of SP Session Cache
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:56:40 +0100

On 2007/05/31, at 02:23, Scott Cantor wrote:

In your case, I'd be concerned about storing a programming object in memory
that would be shared between servers, seems like that's dependent on having
a very uniform set of servers. I don't know, maybe I'm not following what
you meant by a hashtable?

Sorry.. I was thinking in Perl. I can serialize something that resembles an STL map.

Note that each component that uses a StorageService is given a specific
instance to use or build on. It's a manual sort of dependency injection, not
a single global instance. My point being that you could have two
implementations of the API with different performance characterstics and
configure both at once. The Shibboleth configuration allows any number to be
instantiated and you can point the higher level objects at the one you want
them to use.

I looked at the shibboleth.xml.in config in the svn and found the SessionCache (lots of contexts with small size) and ReplayCache (one big context). Also I found the ArtifactMap which also seems to use a StorageService. What is the behavior of this particular cache? Are there any more caches I should me aware?

Also, from the ShibDevCPPSP and the commit logs of the rest of the repositories I can see that the single logout functionality is not even started yet so I guess it will not be present in the beta build released this week. In the wiki it is mentioned that strategies will be discussed in Chicago F2F but searching for "Chicago F2F" yields some interesting results, albeit not relevant to this discussion. :)

So... When can we expect this to be developed? I had to implement a cookie based solution here which is not really secure but it was supposed to be temporary.... :)

Best regards,
André