shibboleth-dev - Re: Shibboleth CAS LDAP Kerberos

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Shibboleth CAS LDAP Kerberos

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Shibboleth CAS LDAP Kerberos
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:05:12 -0400

Lisa Tan wrote:
Am I correct that Shibboleth itself can do SSO? If yes, I should be able to
configure Shibboleth directly against LDAP, right?

No, not yet. Apache and Tomcat handle authentication, not Shibboleth. SSO is about how web servers manage sessions, it's not really about authentication per se.

You can connect Tomcat or Apache to LDAP in many ways, but as Tom said, that's not the point. You don't start using LDAP just because Shibboleth can use it, it's based on your overall requirements for authentication.

Speaking for myself, Kerberos, if you have it, is much more reliable and simple to deal with from the Tomcat end of things. The downside out of the box is that you can't easily allow for people to type "almost a username" into the form, it's Kerberos principal or failure.