shibboleth-dev - Xercesc static make error on Intel Mac

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Xercesc static make error on Intel Mac

  • From: "Sam Hoover" <>
  • To: Shibboleth-Dev <>
  • Subject: Xercesc static make error on Intel Mac
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:31:20 -0400

I'm attempting to install shibboleth-sp-1.3f-macosx-10.4 on a new 2 x
2 GHz Dual-Core Intel XServe running Mac OS X Server 10.4.9, with 4 GB
of RAM.

I have previously successfully installed this version of shib on a PPC
server, so it's not my first attempt at getting a shib SP to work on
Mac OS X.

I tried just using the tarball that was precompiled, but the
/libexec/mod_shib_13.so is a PPC only library.

I downloaded and installed log4cpp with no problems, but the Xerces-C
make command throws the following error:

MacOSUnicodeConverter.cpp:78: error: 'static' may not be used when
defining (as opposed to declaring) a static data member
MacOSUnicodeConverter.cpp:84: error: 'static' may not be used when
defining (as opposed to declaring) a static data member
make[2]: *** [MacOSUnicodeConverter.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [transcoders] Error 2
make: *** [Util] Error 2

I made sure that all of my environment variables were set as per the
Build Instructions. btw, I was able to start shibd and it is running.
I was surprised that shibd is evidently built for Intel, but the
mod_shib_13.so is not.

Sam Hoover
Systems Programmer II
Systems Integration Group