shibboleth-dev - RE: Shibboleth SP with multiple web servers

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Shibboleth SP with multiple web servers

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Shibboleth SP with multiple web servers
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:26:11 -0500

> What do I need to configure to allow 2 web servers to work with
> shibboleth? I'm guessing I need some kind of shared cache or state
> database but I'm not sure what to configure for this.

That's not a simple issue. Support is very limited for this. It is expected
that in 99% of cases, applications that can be clustered have to address
shared state themselves, and in such cases you should usually be able to
avoid using the Shibboleth session for anything other than initiating an
application session.

If you actually wish to cluster the SP, you have to supply a very complex
plugin to implement shared session and replay caches. The MySQL plugin
provided is not a sharable plugin, it uses an embedded database. But it can
be used as a sample to work from.

I believe there are people who have done Oracle and shared MySQL versions.

You could also choose to use a shared shibd service and have both web
servers connect to it. That's still a single point of failure, but so are
most databases.

That has some overhead, but if the service isn't too high volume, it works
pretty well.